Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Message in a Bottle, II

It works both ways. Yesterday, my aunt gifted me with my grandmother's Bible. My grandmother passed away last November at age 96. The Bible is inscribed to her from her father, probably at her Confirmation, so that would have been around 1921. (He signed it "From her Father, Mr. A Schneider" - as if she wouldn't know!) Aunt Janet said that Grandma had observed to her that i was the only one of her grandchildren, including Janet's own four, who practiced any kind of a spiritual life.

i don't mean to sound self-righteous - it's just that, her words and that gift felt like a laying on of hands. In her lifetime, Grandma was a huge influence on me - i wonder if she knew how much?

2 Comments:

Blogger Bela said...

I never knew any of my grandparents, so I envy you your memories. You're lucky to have had such an understanding older person to confide in. I'm sorry your Grandma is gone now.

10:02 PM  
Blogger red-queen said...

Thank you - i do feel lucky. Thinking about her makes me aware of the tremendous capacity we each have to bless others. You must have had other people in your life who did that for you?

5:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home