Friday, October 14, 2005

Tag, I'm It!

Thanks to my warm & wonderful friend Neela (Life in Paris blog), I am revisiting my poor blog. While I made no conscious decision to abandon it, life just seems to have gotten in the way lately and I have not been able to focus on writing anything. So today, here are 20 random things about me...

1. I know the first AND second verses of just about every Christmas carol of note - and the third, fourth, fifth, etc., to many.

2. My Myers-Briggs type is INFP - Introverted Intuitive Feeling Perceiver. According to Isabel Briggs Myers, introverted feelers "have a wealth of warmth and enthusiasm, but they may not show it until they know someone well. They wear their warm side inside, like a fur-lined coat."

3. I stopped eating meat about 3 years ago because I don't wish to participate in the inhumane American agri-business. I do eat seafood sometimes.

4. I learned to read using ITA, the Initial Teaching Alphabet, a phonemic alphabet that uses 44 sound-symbols to represent all the sounds of spoken English.

5. I learned to drive in my dad's 1973 candy-apple red Dodge Charger. And yep - 'bitchin' is the word.

6. I can whistle Mozart's Eine Kleine Nachtmusik pitch-perfect.

7. I like my job so much, I sometimes feel guilty. Rarely, if ever, do I think, "Oh, I *have to* go to work today."

8. I read Gone with the Wind 13 times the summer I turned 13.

9. I am the current guardian of my great-grandmother's secret recipe for kourambethes (Greek butter cookies), which I have vowed to reveal to no one except my own daughter.

10. I read tarot for fun & insight.

11. I write poetry, but don't let anyone else read it.

12. I'm afraid of heights, but about six years ago, I jumped 30 feet from the top of a huge boulder into a deep pool where we had stopped to take a break while whitewater rafting. I only did it so my kids wouldn't think me a coward. I was terrified the entire time.

13. I can't stand "collectibles" of any kind - figurines, commemorative plates, thimbles, what-have-you. The only things I collect are things I can use, like baskets, scarves, books and perfume.

14. I hate to fly.

15. I've been married for half of my life.

16. I bowled the best game of my life - 186 - when I was 8 months pregnant.

17. I have been known to use the word "boughten" - as in, boughten chicken, the kind you get from a take-out place.

18. I can make a fire with flint, steel & tinder.

19. I've had both of my 'big toes' crushed in freak accidents - one involving a dropped stand-mixer - I told myself, "Better my toe than the expensive ceramic kitchen tile" - the other in a bizarre kid's-birthday-at-a-bowling-alley caper, in which a 12-pound ball mysteriously dislodged itself from a rack and, succumbing to gravity, impacted my poor toe. Both methods are quite painful, and I don't recommend them.

20. The single most useful course I took in high school was Typing I. Who knew, back in 1978, that the advent of personal computers would make 10-finger typing such a valuable life skill?

Well, this has been pretty random. Interesting, though, and more difficult than I thought it would be. I'd like to continue the game, but all my friends with blogs have already been tagged. So, if you'd like to be next, just post in the comments :>)

7 Comments:

Blogger red-queen said...

LOL - so, what you're saying is, I'll have to *make* the cookies and just send them, eh? I just may do that & surprise you :>)

1:32 PM  
Blogger Bela said...

I'm so glad N tagged you, D. What fun!

I'm afraid of heights too, but, then, I'm afraid of most things that involve removing one's feet from the ground.

Making fire like a cavewoman might be very useful in certain circumstances.

I refused to learn to touch type when I was younger so I would never be tempted to become a secretary. LOL! Of course, as a translator I've had to type thousands and thousands of words; it's only in the past few years that I finally managed to acquire that skill - more or less.

Wouldn't mind tasting those biscuits. :-)

10:11 PM  
Blogger TLP said...

Good job! Fun stuff. Mmmmm cookies.

I have a paperweight collection which I love.

7:44 PM  
Blogger red-queen said...

J - typing WAS one of the ways they attempted to sort us, wasn't it? My mom, who was determined I would go to college (never any doubt in my mind, either) was against me taking a typing class, for that very reason. But as it happens, I use that skill now more than anything else I was exposed to - certainly more than geometry, LOL!

TLP - Paperweights are okay - I trust they are holding down stacks of paper? :>) Do you have the cool glass ones with scenery inside?

8:59 AM  
Blogger katiedid said...

"11. I write poetry, but don't let anyone else read it"

It's because they're all dirty limmericks, right? ;)

Ah, typing. My parents were sore at my brother and sister for not taking typing class. Their reasoning for a typing class, of course, is that it is necessary for college papers. Oh how the times have changed, because in my typing class the female/male ratio was fairly split. I think we were all there for the same reasons my parents urged me to learn typing.

6:31 PM  
Blogger Tania said...

Excellent list! You hate collectibles, eh? We have several collections you would probably howl at: We always put a quarter in to the Homies machine (little urban hiphop LA Latino plastic figures) when we stop by the grocery store and we've dedicated an entire shelf of our curio cabinet to a moving diorama of Homies in various scenarios. I also have a spoon collection that I jokingly started in college, when a friend of mine was going on a trip around the world, and I said, "Get me a commemorative spoon while you're at it." She thought that was hilarious and she actually did buy me a spoon in every country she stopped in. It was so funny I had to display them. Every time a friend sees those damn spoons, they get me more spoons. I now have a completely idiotic and accidental collection of these spoons, but I wouldn't get rid of them, because they make me laugh and because my friends laugh every time they see them.

I used to read tarot cards too, for fun. I was always completely wrong, but it was fun to sit there trying to tie the archetypes together into a coherent interpretation. What pack do you have?

10:15 AM  
Blogger red-queen said...

Katie, the girl from Nantucket features in not one of my poems!

T - An accidental collection - one you can laugh about - that's a different story. As long as you're not cruising eBay, trying to acquire the 1988 Seoul Olympics spoon specially issued by the Franklin Mint.

My favorite tarot deck right now is the Tarot of Prague (i posted about it last month or so, with links). I have several others, though...almost, uh, a collection...

:>)

12:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home