Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Mascara #2...

My most recent mascara purchase was at Ulta, the cosmetics superstore. Ulta entered the market here only a few months ago, and I've tried a few of their store-brand cosmetics, hoping they would be on a par with Sephora. Eh. Let me tell you about the mascara...

Ulta Maximum Volume Soft Curl Mascara is pretty unremarkable. It is dirt cheap, so I don't know that I have any basis for complaint. But still. It's got a standard-shape brush with fairly stiff bristles - not a lot of give. The stiff bristles should assist in the curling technique, but it doesn't work particularly well, and here's why: The mascara formula itself is dry, dry, dry! It's not fluid enough to coat the lashes and make them bendable. I almost returned it to the store, thinking I'd gotten an old tube, but I talked to a friend who's tried it and she had the same experience. So unless we both got bad tubes, this is just a really dry formula. Upon application, it makes my lashes look and feel rather scrubby - yes, they are thicker, but in a kind of "gunked up" way. The surface is not smooth. I find I need to apply a couple of coats to get any added length (not something I normally do - I'm a one-coat-n-go gal) , and then it's hard to drag the brush back through my lashes because of the texture of the first coat.

UMVSCM comes in jet black, soft black and black/brown. I purchased black/brown and it is definitely more on the brown side. I prefer a brownish black, rather than a blackish brown. The price is probably the best feature of this mascara - $7 regular retail price, but often available at 50% off. Nevertheless, I will not be buying again.

Product rating: 5

6 Comments:

Blogger TheBeautyBrains said...

May is for Mascara - what a clever idea!!

We're cosmetic scientists who run a blog called The Beauty Brains and we specialize in answering questions about how cosmetic products work. Can we come and play with you guys?

We'd love to join the Mascara Madness with a post about the function of Mascara formulas. How do we go about joining the fun?

Thanks!
The Beauty Brains

PS Check out our blog at Thebeautybrains.blogspot.com and feel free to link to us if you like what you see.

8:46 PM  
Blogger red-queen said...

Hey, Beauty Brains - welcome! If you want to do the Mascara Madness, write to Annie, the brain behind Blogdorf Goodman http://blogdorfgoodman.blogspot.com/


:>)

debra

9:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

try 'naturally glossy' from Clinique. Sometimes come in the free gifts.
Won't hold forever, but perfect for every day and a smooth wet-ish formula. Excellent brush, soft and dense.
You can get away with only one stroke, it does not leave clumps.
(not really for intense volume seekers, though)

12:45 PM  
Blogger katiedid said...

Does Ulta still make a clear one? I really liked it way back when I tried it - not for my upper lashes, but it worked well on the bottom ones and as an eyebrow gel. I totally forgot what I thought of their regular mascaras though - it must have been only a "5" for me, too, I guess. Nice review.

7:45 PM  
Blogger SpillToJill said...

The Great Eyeliner Hunt begins....I've talked with Blogdorf Goodman about it - and she is writing an entry about this also....take a look at http://jilbean.blogspot.com/ if you want to participate:)

8:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What is the best mascara for winter? I have found some great winter skin products but I need mascara.

2:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home